AV Rated – Martindale-Hubbell
Karen Asher-Cohen is a founding shareholder of the Radey Law Firm. Karen regularly represents insurers before the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation. As a former Director of Insurer Services and Deputy Commissioner at the Department of Insurance, Karen has a keen insight into the issues pertaining to operating as an insurer or other licensed entity in the State of Florida, as both counsel and as an expert witness.
Karen received her B.A. in Spanish from the University of Massachusetts and her J.D. with honors from Florida State University. Karen has a varied background in public service beginning with her career at the Florida State Attorney’s Office. Karen served as a Statewide Prosecutor. Karen then worked as a senior attorney with the Florida Public Service Commission.
Karen began her career with the then Department of Insurance as a senior attorney/prosecutor in the Division of Rehabilitation and Liquidation, working on complex receivership matters. Karen moved through the ranks, and as Director of Insurer Services, her responsibilities included oversight of six bureaus including Property & Casualty Insurer Solvency, Property & Casualty Forms and Rates, Life & Health Insurer Solvency, Life & Health Forms and Rates, HMOs, and residual markets. She was directly involved with applications to write all lines of business in Florida, the resolution of rate and form filing issues, as well as the oversight of market conduct examinations and investigations. Additionally, Karen represented Florida as a founding member of the International Commission on Holocaust Era Insurance Claims (ICHEIC). Karen ultimately became Deputy Commissioner before departing to enter private practice.
- Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, FL, J.D.
- Honors: With Honors
- Law Review: Florida State University Law Review, Articles and Notes Editor
- University of Massachusetts, B.A.
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Major: Spanish
- University of New Mexico, Quito, Ecuador
- Radey Law Firm, Founding Shareholder
- Katz, Kutter, Alderman, Bryant & Yon, P.A., Shareholder
- Florida Department of Insurance – Deputy Commissioner; Deputy General Counsel; Director, Division of Insurer Services; Senior Attorney
- Florida Public Service Commission, Senior Attorney
- The Florida Bar
- Statewide Grand Jury, Prosecutor
- Florida State Attorney’s Office, Assistant State Attorney
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Tallahassee Women Lawyers
- International Association of Insurance Receivers
- American Bar Association
- Holocaust Education Resource Council, Board Member
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Florida International University/Jewish Museum of Florida: Breaking the Glass Ceiling Award, 2016
- NCJW Henrietta Szold Award, 2001